- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
THE -ION WEEKEND
On the weekend of September 19th and 20th, I attended the @NJPAECET2 conference. I'm calling it the -ION weekend because it was two days filled with words that end in -ION. See below.
INSPIRATION:
The weekend started with +Principal Kafele (Baruti Kafele) giving the keynote speech. His speech was how our attitude is the catalyst for change inspired the entire crowd. His message resonated deeply with the audience because they were invited to a weekend of learning and they came because they wanted to, not because they had to. His message was about changing the attitude gap in order to improve the achievement gap. His message didn't excuse anyone who learns in a certain zipcode or who teaches in a certain zip code. It sent the message that as educators our attitude can be the difference maker. Principal Kafele believes what I have been saying. If we invest in the Human Core, the Common Core will take care of itself. He launched us into the conference with his inspiration.
VINDICATION:
The definition of vindication is the act of vindicating or defending against criticism or censure. Our middle Keynote presenter was +Joyce Valenza. A powerful and passionate speaker that demonstrated that female leaders need to be loud and need to be proud. Her presentation defended women who enter fields normally occupied by men and those who speak out even when some don't want to hear their voice.She models that women do not need to conform to the stereotypes perpetuated by the media in our society on a daily basis. As the father of four daughters, her words pierced me with hope that my wife and I are doing our best to raise strong powerful women who are not afraid to take risks, who will not accept the status quo, and most importantly will not apologize for being women.
SALVATION:
The closing keynote presenter was @Instg:PrincipalMills Shabazz High School's Principal Gemar Mills who took a failing school in Newark and injected a massive dosage of HOPE to not only turn the school around, but make his students feel worthy each day. Watch the video here: Saving Shabazz/. Mr. Mills didn't promote his job success with some new trend in differentiation or classroom practice. Mr. Mills promoted that as educators, we are all in the life saving business. He believes we have an opportunity each day to be Merchants of Hope for our students. When we embrace that responsibility saving lives just becomes what we do!VALIDATION:
The conference had incredible keynote speakers, but in between these great speakers were incredible educators sharing their passion and knowledge. I say validation because it validates my belief that there are other people in the world, like me, who believe they can change the world. One attendee said it perfectly when he stated, " I came to NJPAECET2 because I thought I would walk away with a million strategies, but instead I walk away feeling ignited to do my best for my students. That is better than any strategy I can learn and it validates why I got into this profession!" I felt validated when I heard +lavonnaroth talk about igniting your SHINE or when (@dculberhouse) David Culberhouse shared how we need to embrace the need to transform our industry to meet the needs of today's learners for tomorrow's jobs.
DEDICATION
I value the dedication of others so I can continue to monitor my own dedication. For example, my colleagues from Middletown like +Daniel Alston +Stephany Hesslein @miss_weinstein and @kerrigan_john and +Natalie Franzi who passionately share their story of how they are branding their district by sharing the proud moments that happen daily through social media. The work they are doing details that it's not about going to school, but about creating an "experience". I would be remiss if I didn't mention +barry saide whose tireless efforts, not just with this great conference, but how he is always doing whatever it takes to make himself the best educator he can be. He has been great in the classroom, but I am confident he is going to do amazing things when he get's into a leadership position. Lastly, my friend Tom Snyder, who after being in education for many years is the role model that educators, of any age, can transform their practice. Tom didn't transform because of praise like this or being able to speak at conferences. Tom transformed because he truly knew it would benefit his students. I am proud to have worked with him and more proud to call him my friend.
EMANCIPATION
In summary, the NJPAECET2 conference is about emancipation. It's about emancipating our minds from the endless negativity that surrounds our profession both in and out of our buildings. It's about emancipating our positive spirit
regardless of what legislators keep throwing at us. It's about emancipating ourselves from our fears of to escape the traditional and be transformational. Most importantly, however, it's about emancipating the minds of our students to believe that they are valuable, worthy, and will one day help us change the world.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments

I think I had that child as a sub. I remember you telling us the same story at a faculty meeting and I have used the philosophy in classrooms and at home withmyown kids.Works greatπππ
ReplyDelete