Lessons From a Rain Delay

LESSONS FROM A RAIN DELAY

This blog is  part of an email I sent to principals of schools I serve who are charged with writing an Annual School Plan with SMART GOALS. However, as many embark on the start of a new school year I thought you might find it helpful.

Last Sunday, I attended the Yankee-Red Sox game slated to begin at 7:00pm.
During discussions with my wife, I expressed that I wanted to leave around 3:00pm in an attempt to avoid the traffic guaranteed for this rivalry. Well, after visiting a family BBQ (during which many nonverbal cues of pointing to my watch were made to remind my wife that is was time to leave) we didn't leave at 3:00pm, but a bit after 4:00pm. You see, I can't stand to miss first pitch. There is something exciting about the start of a baseball game, especially with a sold out crowd. Well, traffic was horrendous and as of 6:45pm we had not crossed the GW Bridge. Meanwhile, I was complaining and whining about leaving late and that I was guaranteed to miss first pitch. Then I received a text at 6:58 alerting me that the game was being delayed due to weather. I was not going to miss first pitch. In addition, I would be able to see the tradition of "roll call" from the bleacher creatures at Yankee stadium. Why do I share this? I should have followed this saying that I use regularly: A problem is not a problem until it's a problem. 

It is important that you understand right now the vision of your plan looks like the top picture. However, check out the reality picture. Transformation of practice in any organization will have its peaks and valleys. However, don't be so quick to label the valleys as a problem! It just may be your version of a rain delay! 

Best of luck on a great school year! 
@radisch_wc

Comments